Saturday, January 17, 2015

A CHRISTMAS REFLECTION: THINGS THAT MATTER MOST (12/2014)

THE METAMORHOSIS
By
Ernie D. Delfin

A CHRISTMAS REFLECTION:  THINGS THAT MATTER MOST
(when one becomes a “senior” citizen)

                                        “ Life with a purpose is a life of fulfillment….
                                   I value the freedom   to serve more than the power to rule!”
                                                             Tony Meloto,  GK Founder & Builder of Dreams        
          
           It’s  just 8 days before Christmas, and the “Simbang Gabi” has started and I feel mixtures of human emotions as  I am all alone  in a big  4-bedroom house, as my wife is still in the Philippines (attending the funeral of her 94-year-old mother who passed away a day before Thanksgiving) and my only son, EJ,  now has his own apartment  near  Arcadia High School where he teaches English, more than an hour away from home.  For  more than a month this Christmastime,  I have  plenty of time to do “nothing” in solitude or do as many activities that I want like:  reading, writing, volunteer or ministry  work and APOStolic work, and above all reflecting about my own life, its purpose and meaning.
          Since the week before Thanksgiving up to this moment as I write this Christmas column,  I have a gamut of human experiences that were never planned nor expected: from a witnessing a rare but very solemn  Catholic baptism of a woman inmate in Orange County jail on the Feast of Immaculate Conception, where about a dozen of her fellow inmates were witnesses, and me serving as sacristan to the officiating priest;   to an uncommon power outage last week over  several blocks, that included the high rise  hotel that we were staying I the Union Square in Downtown San Francisco, with my daughter’s family where I played the  role of a male “nanny” for four days,  to  going to the gym and Barnes & Noble bookstore oftener than usual as the rains have taken over my work in our farmyard. It’s been an emotional roller-coaster and physiological cul-de-sac going through another death in  the family then Thanksgiving and now Christmastime!
            Attending the start of the Simbang Gabi (“misa de gallo” or mass of the rooster), brought back fifty plus years of memories and inspired  my mind to write about life, its natural cycle, and “What Matters Most” in my  life.   With  the theme of hope and preparation that Advent brings to all Christians, I am writing this  Christmas column  to verbalize my thoughts centering on my own TOP TEN things that matter most,  at this stage of my earthly life, with the Season’s hope that they will also prompt you, the readers,  to come up with your own TOP TEN :
1. FAMILY:     Somewhere in the distant past,  I read that “No success can compensate the failure at home.”   More common expression that we hear often is “there is no place like home.”    These  expressions, however, are just taken for granted during one’s youth.   But once a person reaches his Medicare eligibility age,  love and family become more important  and the love for self decreases whereas the love for his family, especially his  grandchildren, increases.   Instinctively,  as the person gets older,  he longs more for his family and often creates varied  reasons or events, like birthdays or anniversaries, just to get together to enjoy the company of family and friends.   
2.  FRIENDS  =   Like the family,  true friends are equally important as  they motivate  you to  become a better person . True friends are great assets that you do not have to  buy but nurtured.   Friends that you admire can become your inspiration to  become  like them.  A genuine friend is someone that can also say no to you, and but always be there to  help you overcome your own human frailties to become a more useful and better human being.  A great friendship is one that elevates each other to reach your  greatest potential, like how Jesus made his apostles the best they can be --- from where they were to where they have become. 
3. FREEDOM:     Like the birds in the sky,  senior citizens, like me, love to be free as they are no longer obligated  to do the work that they used to do to make a living, either as an employee or a business owner.    To do or not to do  something during one’s retirement  becomes an option every day.  Even the activities of daily living, including eating at a particular time or showering in the morning or afternoon become priceless  options once you are retired.
4. FULFILLMENT  =   Before retirement, a person primarily works for compensation  (to be able to purchase the  material things he needs to survive or just to show off that he  can also  afford  some luxury) or simply to be recognized by others.   At 65,  many people do things not only for money   to have that feeling of fulfillment,  the third side of that invisible Recognition-Fulfillment-Compensation (RFC) triangle. Fulfillment is invisible but felt deeply  inside that makes the person feel joy and contentment. It cannot be bought nor given by someone but self-generated. 
5. HEALTH  =    ‘Health is wealth’  becomes the retiree’s  mantra and his most valued possession.   With the advance of health care technology coupled with the fact that the vast majority of jobs no longer require back-breaking  efforts under the extreme heat in the sun,   65 has been called the new 45. Today, actuarial science indicates  that retirees who are relatively healthy at 65 has 50 percent or higher that they will reach the century mark. It’s  God’s  priceless gift to us, to be healthy and alive and still have all the human senses intact.   
6. BOOKS, CULTURE, ARTS,  THEATER AND MOVIES  =  I could not imagine a world without these things as they  provide beautiful colors and different flavors to enjoy. They supply all the oxygen to energize our  minds and spirit.  These things, however, are often more expensive than just biking or walking along the beach that are equally enjoyable.  They stimulate the mind, bring us to distant places where we have never been, meet people we have never met while enriching our lives beyond our expectations.  
7. TRAVEL, ADVENTURE & NATURE    =    It’s  ironical that my   Bucket List  has more things to see  and places to visit now, than in the past, in  indirect proportion to the number of years that I have. To resolve this dilemma, I have learned to put several options  in front  of me, and ask  my Lord, my  God to make it happen the way HE sees fit for me.  It’s less stressful to surrender to HIM when HE wants me to do it.  A Franciscan priest friend of mine, Fr. Emery Tang OFM (Bless his soul) summed it beautifully this way:  “God will always gives us  the health and a long life for us to  do what He wants us   to accomplish before we   join Him  in heaven”.   That belief and practice  have  liberated me from my control-freak personality that I used to have, which made me enjoy life better.
8.  DOING SERVICE FOR OTHERS  =   Last Thanksgiving  weekend,  America and the rest of the world have again witnessed the   CNN Heroes  Annual Event and watching it on my  TV set, with great admiration for these TEN exemplary human beings  is pure enjoyment and inspiration.  My small contribution to make this world a better world for my children and their children, like volunteering as a prison minister in Orange County Jail,  being a member of our Parish Pastoral Council, Eucharistic Ministry  and Peace & Justice Ministry in addition to the  many volunteer hours to Rotary projects locally and internationally  are very puny compared to what these CNN Heroes are doing.  Nevertheless doing these small  services-above-self gives meaning and purpose to my own  life. Like these CNN Heroes, I too believe that one cannot be truly happy if you only think of yourself and never lift a finger to help others.
9.  RETREATS IN NEW  PLACES AND NEW RETREAT MASTERS  =     “Where your treasure is, is where your heart will be”   becomes a guiding star when  you become older. After college, our focus was on your  career, money and the pursuit of happiness often measured in material terms.  Once you retired from “work” or business,  it’s no longer necessary to drive a brand new car or to wear expensive suits,  rather, to seek other things,  go to places and  retreats to enrich  your own spirituality. Why? Simply because you might be able to count your treasure or wealthy but you can never count the remaining days of your life.   This coming year,  I will seek and attend a Jesuit led retreat in a new retreat center to learn more about their world famous “Ignatian Spiritual Exercises”  as I got intrigued and interested after reading   “The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything” by Fr. James Martin, SJ.   As one admirer of Pope Francis, (a Jesuit priest but also a humble follower of St. Francis of Assisi, the founder of the Franciscan Order)  I am absolutely certain  that I will learn new interesting things about Ignatius of Loyola. This Jesuit led retreats will augment my knowledge about the Dominicans (was a graduate of a Dominican run high school and college (Letran) in Manila)  as well as my acquired knowledge about the Franciscans where I have decades of friendships with several friars and attended dozens of their retreats in California.

10.  PLAIN LEISURE, THE LUXURY OF  DOING NOTHING  =    Last but not the least,   I love and enjoy  plain leisure, and just doing nothing.  Just in silent retreats,  plain conversation with yourself or  with  Invisible Spirit that  you can only hear when you are completely silent,  is one mysterious miracle of being alive and human.  Just as  miracles are happening inside your body in deep sleep, so are miracles also occurring in your being  in perfect silence.  There is  always a profit earned by doing nothing, which  I hope to  do this as much as I can the rest of my life…. If you have nothing to do, you can do it anywhere!
        Before signing off, I extend my best wishes to  my family, relatives and friends including my thousands of FaceBook  friends  around  the world,  and all who are reading this column.  I pray to the Lord, our God and Redeemer whose birthday we celebrate this month,  to grant all of us a very  Peaceful &  Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy Prosperous  2015!
                                                                ----- 3 0  --------

Email:  ernie.delfin@gmail.com or  ernie.gkerc@gmail.com

                       www.goldcrowdfunding.com/erniedelfin

No comments:

Post a Comment